I've decided to do a series on some of my favorite things...so to start off I thought I'd let you in on a little secret...I love BOOKS! And I love to READ!
Yes, I am what you would call a bookworm. There's just nothing like a good book. Seriously, a perfect day for me would be a rainy fall day, getting in my sweats and curling up with a good book and a cup of coffee(or hot cocoa, or cider). I just love to read! I read whenever I get a spare minute. I read between commercials of shows that I'm watching, I read every night before hitting the sack, I read in the car(not while driving =0), I read in the bathtub...and yes I read in the bathroom. So it's not surprising that my favorite classes in high school and in my short stint at college were my literature classes. I loved learning about the deeper meaning in an authors writings...I loved to read books that I never would have picked up on my own...books like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance(thanks Brian!). I love all kinds of books too...mystery, action, biographies, fiction, nonfiction, sci-fi, classics, poetry...you name it I'll read it. My obsession with reading is so pronounced that I read everything around me...seriously...I've probably read every label to every shampoo, shaving cream, body wash that we have in the bathroom...no joke.
With this love for reading comes a love for something else....the library. I love the library. The smell of thousands of books, the quiet ambiance, the librarians scurrying to and fro with there carts as they restock the shelves. I love that there are thousands of books to peruse...and knowing that I can pick anything off the shelves and take it home to enjoy. My mom instilled in me a love for this wonderful place at a young age. I remember so vividly going to the library with schoolbooks in hand, sitting and doing my spelling at one of the many reading spots, eagerly trying to finish so that I could go check out the next Nancy Drew, or Bobbsey Twins, or Cam Jansen, or whatever I was into at the moment. It was a treat to be there...and through the years I've grown to love it even more. Our local library here is fabulous! I'm there at least once a week either just to look around and find something to catch my fancy or picking up one of the many books I have on hold. I love it. I just do.
I have lots of favorite books. To name a few, A Tale of Two Cities, The Count of Monte Cristo, Much Ado About Nothing, And Then There Were None, pretty much anything C.S. Lewis, The Harry Potter Series, Battling Unbelief...and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Right now I have a large list of books I want to read...it just keeps growing and I'm always looking for new ones to read. So let me ask you...what are some of your favorite books?



5 comments:
I didn't know you read all the labels, etc.!!! I do to!! :) Isn't the library the best place. Your dad says that I need to get a job there....hmmmm...I wonder if they pay in books???? Love you, Mom
Haha! Yes I read the labels...I must get that from you too! Ive thought about getting a job at the library...hmmmm....
Good post bek, I'm interested to know what other folks favorite books are. Some of mine include: Uncle Tom's Cabin, A Chance to Die (Elliot), The Story Girl collection (L.M. Montgomery), Living Sacrifice (Dr. Helen Roseveare), A Quest for More (Tripp), Persuasion (Jane Austen)
Great post! I didn't know that about you. Keep us posted on books you are reading and what you think of them.
I love reading too and also dreamed about working at the library. I've been going to the same library since it opened when I was 5. One of the things I was most excited about moving to our house is that it is right down the street so I can take my kiddos there someday too!
Post a Comment